Saturday, September 24, 2016

Learning Classical Human Proportions


I used to wonder if I ever needed to go to art school or attend some art workshops in order to learn art. I was wrong, all I really needed was some art materials, the commitment to practice and the commitment to take advantage of books and the internet. Before, I'd struggle to draw cartoons, now I'm just casually learning life drawing. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an amateur but I'd rather be that than be stuck not being able to escape from the beginner phase.

The drawings above is based on examples in the book (referenced below) on a lesson about human proportion. If you're an art student, you probably already know about the whole "8-heads proportion" idea. I learned about it in another video I watched a few months ago but at the time I didn't really take it that seriously. Now, I've finally put it into practice.



The video above is done by a guy named Shoo Rayner, by the way. I highly recommend you subscribe to his YouTube channel if you're interested in learning how to draw or simply like videos of other people drawing. I've learned a lot from his videos and they're fun to watch too.

Reference(s):

Barrington Barber 2015. The Fundamentals of Drawing: A Complete Professional Course for Artists, pp 34-35.

No comments:

Post a Comment